Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? I'm planning on simply hacking the FluxBox source abit, but I'd like a thorough understanding of the concepts before I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Writing a window manager

Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? I'm planning on simply hacking the FluxBox source abit, but I'd like a thorough understanding of the concepts before I start this undertaking.

Also, how do you write pluggable software in C/C++? I'd like my window manager to support plug-ins in some way shape or form.

Thanks!

Linux User

Plugin question

Use dlopen library call, or use glib-2.0 if you're planning to use glib-2.0 library for your purpose.

About programming a window manager, you should read a lot of X specifications.
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? I'm planning on simply hacking the FluxBox source abit, but I'd like a thorough understanding of the concepts before I start this undertaking.

Also, how do you write pluggable software in C/C++? I'd like my window manager to support plug-ins in some way shape or form.

Thanks!
    Hey, Javasnob... I read in another thread that you are using Openbox now. So, are you now thinking in terms of hacking away at Openbox, instead, or are you still planning to work on the ol' Fluxbox source?

My current plan is to write a very simple window manager just so I understand the concepts behind it better, and then I think I'll move onto the OpenBox source. After all, I'm trying to get my window manager to be as fast as possible.