Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. my company's website is in the process of a new makeover. A new feature is the ability for clients to login and find out information about their order, new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Username Password Help

Ok. my company's website is in the process of a new makeover. A new feature is the ability for clients to login and find out information about their order, new products available for the items they ordered, and patches and or downloads for them. Well. we got the username and password HTML done. But now I need the code to access a file with a list of usernames and passwords.
    I discussed it with a friend of mine and he mentioned PHP. I looked at a few PHP books and just couldn't handle PHP, even though it is quite similar to C++. Next I thought PERL. I haven't used PERL in ages, so I'm gonna dig out some old books of mine and refresh myself on PERL programming.
    I need some input on what I should do. Use PERL to code up a CGI? Or use PHP? I think i'd feel more comfortable with PERL. Although I'm sure PHP has more security capabilities. I'd appreciate some input.
    P.S. The usernames and passwords will be on the server on a regular file. So i'll have to open a text file and search for the username and password matches that way. I have no other database. Thanks for your help and I apologize for such a long post.

Mike

Linux Guru
    If you are comfortable with Perl, then use perl. PHP can do the job, a lot more hosting companies support PHP than do perl, but it may take some time to learn, which you may or may not have..

Jason