Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would someone to tell me if and how Componet Object Model can be implemented on Linux. I am using a 2.4 kernel....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

COM on Linux

I would someone to tell me if and how Componet Object Model can be implemented on Linux. I am using a 2.4 kernel.

Linux Guru
    May I ask why you would even want that M$ contraption to begin with?

Ok, COM was a nice idea (when discuess in that news article), and yes it works (well sort of ), see DirectX, but think twice, why do you want to add the overhead? I've seen a few benchmarks, both Apache+MySQL vs. IIS+(whatever the windows equ. is) and IIS vs IIS (with ODBC, etc), in all of them the com version has been slower then the non COM versions (it's not just M$ the rest).
    So ask your self, is it worth the overhead? Linux has been running excelent without it so far and will continue to do so

btw, COM is i.e. a method of calling functions (via pointer tables), it's a big pain the 4$$ to interface with when coding in asm I'll tell you (sure macros can make life easier but still it's hard).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the timely warning on COM. Would CORBA be a better option to apply on LINUX?

Linux Engineer
    CORBA is well applyed software on some solutions, but what exactly are you planning to do?? If you share a little on your plans maybe we can recommend a proper software for it...
    Regards

Andutt