Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am new linux user. i used windows for 6 years. i decided to change my operating system to linux. it is hard to be adapted to linux after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question update script...

hi
    i am new linux user.
    i used windows for 6 years. i decided to change my operating system to linux.
    it is hard to be adapted to linux after windows.
    it is more complicated but more secure and greater than my old... i am getting fan of linux

Whatever

i have to do this:
    - allow remote management, operation and software installation on Linux computers.
    - result can be developed either as a set of applications or shell scripts, with preference for the later.
    - two distinct entities must be considered, the server and the remote clients.
    - the server must hold the shell scripts and necessary files.
    - each remote client must, on boot time, check if it should, or should not, process a script that resides on a folder of the server, and if necessary, download the related files from that folder (e.g. rpm files and shell scripts) and run them on the client.
    - all operations must be as secure as possible for both entities (server and clients), being allowed the possibility of the saving of clear-texted passwords in access protected files (only readable by the root user).
    - all configurations should be done by configuration files, a log file must be maintained in both client and server, no output is to be generated

is there a good linuxer [ i am calling linux user as linuxer ] can help me?
    Thanx for everthing..

welcome
    let us know how far you got. Post the scripts you have developed and we can have a look at it. The other option is using scripts that are already out there of course ..
    If you are a beginner and want to learn simple scripting and commandline i'd recommend: http://www.linuxcommand.org/

Quote Originally Posted by isimigorecem
    i have to do this:
    - allow remote management, operation and software installation on Linux computers.
    - result can be developed either as a set of applications or shell scripts, with preference for the later.
    - two distinct entities must be considered, the server and the remote clients.
    - the server must hold the shell scripts and necessary files.
    I think you could do most of this with ssh (Secure Shell), possibly using machinekeys (or what it's called) to run it without having to enter the remote machines password.
    - each remote client must, on boot time, check if it should, or should not, process a script that resides on a folder of the server, and if necessary, download the related files from that folder (e.g. rpm files and shell scripts) and run them on the client.
    I think you could solve this with a "init script" (exactly how to do this may differ by distro) or you could use a cron (iirc there's a '@reboot' option for the crontab to make scripts run at boot (try "man 5 crontab" for details))

- all operations must be as secure as possible for both entities (server and clients), being allowed the possibility of the saving of clear-texted passwords in access protected files (only readable by the root user).
    - all configurations should be done by configuration files, a log file must be maintained in both client and server, no output is to be generated
    using ssh for the network trafic is pretty safe, using 'automated password hadnling' might be a little less but still safer than cleartext passwords I'd guess (haven't tried using machinepasswords myself).
    As for logging, it's as simple as redirecting the output of the script to a file, some thing like "> /path/to/log/file 2>&1" after the command/script should put all output in /path/to/log/file ("2>&1" tells the shell to also redirect stderr to stdout (which is redirected to the file), you can have erros put it's own log file if you want, then the syntax would be: "> /path/to/stdout/log/file 2> /path/to/stderr/log/file").

HTH
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close