Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, umm... recently I installed the gtkmm packages into a non-standard location... namely /usr/local/unstable/gnome/. I configured ld.so.conf file under /etc and ran ldconfig. I also wrote an export file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

re-locating unstable libraries

Hi there, umm... recently I installed the gtkmm packages into a non-standard location... namely /usr/local/unstable/gnome/. I configured ld.so.conf file under /etc and ran ldconfig. I also wrote an export file setting up the adequate variables ... PKG_CONFIG_PATH , PATH , LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. Everything worked fine. Now I suddenly felt like moving the unstable/gnome directory under my home directory, so I did. I am wondering if that is the correct way to move... or is it wise to move... the unstable libs directory. I then manually edited the pkg-config pc files under unstable/gnome/lib to reflect the new location and also the etc settings under unstable/gnome/etc. So far everything seems to be working well... but I am wondering if I missed out on anything? Is there a way to automate this process so that I ensure that everything went ok? I really don't want to compile everything over.

Another question bugging me is... is there a way to UNINSTALL compiled non RPM or DEB packages ensuring that everything related gets removed?

I am sort of new to Linux and would definitley appreciate a response.
    Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru

Re: re-locating unstable libraries

Quote Originally Posted by hudini_81
    Another question bugging me is... is there a way to UNINSTALL compiled non RPM or DEB packages ensuring that everything related gets removed?
    Some programs have a "make uninstall", but not all. Other than that, there is no automated way to uninstall a compiled app AFAIK.

You could look at the makefile/makefile output to see what it copies during install and remove the bits manually.

On your first q, i dont have a clue.

Jason

Re: re-locating unstable libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by hudini_81
    Some programs have a "make uninstall", but not all. Other than that, there is no automated way to uninstall a compiled app AFAIK.
    You have checkinstall, that works like, you configure and make the program, and start checkinstall that makes a package for your distro (ex. rpm, deb, tgz etc) which you can install and uninstall as you self fit at a later time.

A bad explaination.. Oh well :P

Just Joined!

Thanks for the tips!

Thank you for giving me a few tips! Actually I attempted to remove everything manually and re-compiled everything into a new directory, then prayed to God that there would be no conflict. Luckily there has been none, so I'm cool!