Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, this probably gets asked all the time, but i never go in here so i'll plead ignorance. i'm looking for a book that i can learn C from. it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bookworm

ok, this probably gets asked all the time, but i never go in here so i'll plead ignorance. i'm looking for a book that i can learn C from. it must be good for easing me into new subjects, teach the advanced concepts (especially important) and be a good reference guide. now i imagine this book probably doesn't exist but you can always ask.

btw i'm looking at this on amazon. i know that some might turn their noses up, but i'll be able to get the one written by the creators of C with it for £42 if you read down the page. just asking for opinions from people that might have read either of them.

one last thing: i have limited programming experience from pascal, which i did in college recently. i basically got as far as arrays. i've done a little C coding before which was a calculator about three weeks ago. so i'd say i'm not completely new to programming. just thought i'd include that so people can gauge my experience levels
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

You dont have to do this from a book, there are several on-line guides you could refer to, such as:

University of Leicester
    gatech.edu
    How Stuff Works.com
    and
    many, many more.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

well, it's too late i got the K&R from waterstone's. decided that the best reference was from the authors. plus i've just found out that it gives you tasks to perform! without the answers! might like this
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?