Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am aware of the Mono project which is to bring .NET to the Linux platform. What I am trying to determine is, if I work in the Windows environment ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Mono & .NET

I am aware of the Mono project which is to bring .NET to the Linux platform.

What I am trying to determine is, if I work in the Windows environment using the Visual Studio.NET IDE to program my C#.NET programs in, can I take the resulting program files it generates and deploy them on Linux with Mono and it all work?

Something else I am trying to find out about Mono. My main thrust of development at this time is web based applications in the .NET environment. That means using ASP.NET as well. Does Mono bring ASP.NET like features to Linux or is Mono more focused on 'Winforms' for client/server type technology?

Thanks,
    Ira

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by irasmith
    What I am trying to determine is, if I work in the Windows environment using the Visual Studio.NET IDE to program my C#.NET programs in, can I take the resulting program files it generates and deploy them on Linux with Mono and it all work?
    The basic classes from the System namespace is implemented. The microsoft GUI classes aren't, you would have to use the GTK or GNOME namespaces to implement a GUI on linux.
    Look through monodoc for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by irasmith
    Something else I am trying to find out about Mono. My main thrust of development at this time is web based applications in the .NET environment. That means using ASP.NET as well. Does Mono bring ASP.NET like features to Linux or is Mono more focused on 'Winforms' for client/server type technology?
    http://mono-project.com/FAQ:_ASP.NET

hope this helps a little...

p.s.
    you have to use mono in parallel with the windows tools because there isn't a working debugger or testing mechanisms

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for the reply and the related links. I'll be checking them out as I get further into my .NET development and looking at the possible need to have my .NET work run on Mono.

Thanks,
    Ira

Just Joined!
    hello mate,

Im a .Net developer too (predominantly ASP.NET 2.0), and ive done a little research already, It seems to me that it is impossible to both develop your .Net web applications and host them in a Linux environment. We pretty much have to put up with doing the development in windows visual studio 2005/3 IDE (which, apart from slightly buggy intellisense is a pretty good piece of software.) Then you can use something like Mono, which attempts to replicate the .Net framework classes in Linux (which as mentioned before only suports the System namespace), there's also a plug-in called Grasshopper for the visual studio, which compiles your pages, classes etc. into java byte code instead of MSIL so that you can run them on a Java Virtual Machine. I haven't tested Grasshopper out yet, but I'm keen to hear of anyone who's had much experience of either system. Also if anyone know of an IDE replacement for linux.

Raoul

Just Joined!
    As far as looking for an IDE for Linux, you might want to check out Eclipse at http://www.eclipse.org/. It is written in Java and therefore as long as you have an updated Java virtual machine on your Linux box then it should run.

The goal of Eclipse is to develop an IDE framework that any language vendor can then plug their language into. I looked at Eclipse this past weekend while looking at the PHPeclipse plugin that permits doing PHP coding inside of Eclipse.

I have looked at Mono some and I feel it is a great effort that they are working on. I can also see how things will take time to work out, especially since they have to wait for things like .NET 2.0 to come out first before they can start working on it.

At the moment I think that my goal is to press forward with my .NET 2.0 learning and programming, targeting it for the Microsoft Windows world. I have worked with PHP programming in the past and have just recently inherited a couple of projects based in PHP. So what I think I'll do is look to PHP for my Linux based development work. I don't have a problem dealing in multiple languages, I've done it before in the past and really still do it at this time, so it all works out for me at least