Find the answer to your Linux question:
i wanna start with c++ and maybe move up to GUI design. any suggestions for reading material?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

noob to programming looking for a place to start

i wanna start with c++ and maybe move up to GUI design. any suggestions for reading material?

i can tell you to NOT read C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner. it's a terrible book.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    I can tell you this for Linux GUI programming:
    Look into GTK+ and QT. GTK+ is a C library, QT is C++. GTK+ is what Gnome implements, KDE uses QT. Both can be used on either KDE or Gnome and both can be ported to other platforms. You can also program GTK+ in a multitued of other languages (C++, Python, Perl) using language bindings. I suggest you find do a little research on both and make a determination as to which you want to use. I prefer GTK+ myself.

As far as C++ programming for Linux, you may want to research which large projects are using C++ and download them so you have some "real world" examples of C++ applications. I can't be of more help on that as I prefer C.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah! PS. I liked "C++ How to Program" by Deitel and Deitel. But again, the only C++ programming I do in Linux is either school-related or hacking other projects written in C++ to suite my needs.

i love kde so Qt is my choice. i would like to do as a first project a modification to kompile, that adds an internet based library for special compilation instructions for kompile to use to compile the program correctly for that distro near automatically. here is the info for kompile: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=30223

Regarding the C++ have a look around http://www.cprogramming.com/
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    i can tell you to NOT read C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner. it's a terrible book.
    Just curious. I have this book and was just about to get started with it. Why is it so bad?
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    Just curious. I have this book and was just about to get started with it. Why is it so bad?
    for a start it's a windows based book. i also think that the way it's written is very childish. the author uses different programs for new concepts. i'd prefer it if he wrote the same program with the new code so that you can see the improvements. also, you never feel like you are doing anything important, and the projects you do either feel amatuerish, or incomplete. the K&R C Book i'm looking at now is a much better book (albeit for a different language). it's got tasks that are relevant to the stuff you are doing, and it's got much more in depth explanation into the language and why things are done the way they are. the C++ book never seems to give any reasoning apart from "it just is". in its favour, you get real world uses for programs, but reading the book, you never feel like you would be able to program something like that.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?