Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'm personally using "C++: How to Program" from Deitel and Deitel, and I'm loving it. This is the one case where you should stay away from O'Reilly: their "Practical C++ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm personally using "C++: How to Program" from Deitel and Deitel, and I'm loving it.

This is the one case where you should stay away from O'Reilly: their "Practical C++ Programming" absolutely blows chunks.

Just Joined!
    For small game programming you do not really know to learn pointers. Militarizm ( http://militarizm.ru ) is completely static code. (It's not completely opensource and it's not translated to English, but it's good). And classes are used there just as structures, with no inherits virtual functions etc.

As for GUI dev GTK with Glade looks like good choise for you.

well, for C you need The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie. for C++ i would imagine that The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup would be good too, since he created the language. i'd imagine they're both a little in-depth but you'll never be able to find an author with a better understanding of the language. i don't know about Stroustrup, but K&R provides exercises to help learn the language and apply the techniques you learn.

also, visit www.cprogramming.com for more information on C/C++ programming.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

Glad to see I am not alone here!

I'm in a similar boat in that I'm just starting to learn C. However, I do have the advantage of having programmed in several other languages first (mostly Pascal, ASP, & JavaScript). I always had this nagging feeling that I wasn't a "real programmer" since I didn't know C, and I figured I'd give it a shot. I really like the fact that there is a C compiler built in to linux and that no company can decide to take the language away (happened to me first with Delphi, then with ASP script ).

I've been using a book titled "Absolute Beginner's Guide to C". I picked it up cheap used and all in all I would say it did help me pick up the language. Still, I do agree that pointers in C can really be tough to get your brain around. I thought I understood them from using them quite a bit in pascal along with the pascal version of structures (records). C does wierd stuff with pointers that still give me a bit of a headache, but I've only been trying for a few weeks now.

My advice from learning C as well as the other languages is not to beat yourself up if you don't understand every concept. I tend to get stressed when I don't understand part of a language, and then try to just power my way through this. Unfortunately, this can be very painful. What I've found is the best is to use the parts of the language I do understand to get practice, and take the rest more slowly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2