Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thank you in advance for any response to this question! I was looking for a good resource on creating your own tar program. It would be a simpler kind, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

creating custom tar

Thank you in advance for any response to this question!

I was looking for a good resource on creating your own tar program. It would be a simpler kind, the only flags I would use would be x, v, f, and c. Some direction as to how I could move directories into a single tar file, and general things like that would be awesome. Thanks again!

Do you mean you want to write a c program that does the same thing as tar or that you're a bit confused as how to use it, that is, tar a directory. To tar a directory into a single tar, if the directory was named foo it would be (assuming you wished to compress it into a bz2 file
    Code:
    tar -jcf foo.tar.bz2 foo
    If you didn't wish to compress it, you'd leave out the -j option, if you wished to gzip instead of bzip2 it, you'd change the -j to a -z

However, I have the feeling that I'm misunderstanding your question, and if so, I apologize for wasting your time.

Just Joined!
    I do know how to use tar, I just want to know how to make my own with a simpler overall feel (i.e. no compressing). Thanks, though!

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/

Download the source and hack it.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794