Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm interested in learning C, starting when school's out, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book or other resource for me to start with. I've had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb C Books/Resources recommendations

I'm interested in learning C, starting when school's out, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book or other resource for me to start with. I've had some experience with other languages (HTML, JavaScript, PHP and some others), but I don't know where to start with something like C. Eventually I think I'd be interested in doing GTK stuff for GNOME.

Thanks!

I don't myself know C (currently learning C++), but I hear this site mentioned a lot:

http://www.cprogramming.com/

You might also check out The C Programming Language, which is the original C book. I've heard it said that the book is good, but again, I've not myself used it.

The program Dev Cpp (linky) has a good gui for programming in c and has a very good tutorial teaching you most aspects of the c language. i haven't tried it on linux, but it should work

I'd say get the K&R book on C, contains everything you need to know about C (well the vast majority of it).. It can be a bit daunting to understand for a new programmer, so IMO it is best used in conjunction with another book e.g. Schaums "Programming in C" or one of the O'Reilly ones.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

i suppose i'd had a little head start in knowing about 2 lines of C++ and learning some pascal in college, but The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie isn't as hard as AlexK says. it's good because it's got a good in-depth explanation of stuff and gives you small programming tasks to do, without putting the answers in the back. i'm on chapter 2 right now
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

HowStuffWorks has quite a good step by step C tutorial, but either I was having a bad week or it doesn't explain pointers quite as well as is does the other sections.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027