Find the answer to your Linux question:
'Kay, so... I decided to build gcc 4.1.0 from the source on a machine with a 2 GHz pentium 4 and 512MB RAM. I unzipped the *.tar.gz and cd'ed into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

waiting and waiting for gcc 4.1.0

'Kay, so... I decided to build gcc 4.1.0 from the source on a machine with a 2 GHz pentium 4 and 512MB RAM. I unzipped the *.tar.gz and cd'ed into the directory. I typed:

./configure ; make ; make install

about a week ago. It's still compiling. Is that... cool? I mean, you know, normal? For gcc compilation? Is this the kind of thing you set up on the first of the month and finish on the 15th? When can I expect this thing to stop?

Thanks in advance!

Linux User
    Uh It really compiles 24/24 for a week? I've understood correctly? I've never heard that!

To me, it seems very strange, even if I've never compiled manually a GCC.
    When using Windows, have you ever told "Ehi... do your business?"
    Linux user #396597 (http://counter.li.org)

I've compiled gcc 4.1 on 2 gentoo boxes and never taken longer than 3-4 hours. Took about 4 hours with a laptop (pentium 4 1.9Ghz + 512Mb ram) Three hours on a AMD Athlon 64 bit 3700+ with a gig of ram.

This is through portage but it is the same as installing manually just without the pain of actually figuring out how to install it. I would suggest if you want bleeding edge programs and especially if you want to actually take advantage of having gcc 4.1 use Gentoo. If you are not using a source based distro then having gcc 4.1 is kind of pointless unless you download all the source packages yourself and compile them manually.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, burnit, it actually compiles 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and shows no sign of stopping. CPU utilization hovered near 92% whenever I checked on it. If that didn't crash it, I could probably safely run this box in an oven without incident.

Spencerf, what is this portage you speak of? I will take your advice and look at Gentoo. Also, I see that you hail from Boston. Any chance I have seen you at the MIT swap meet?

Linux User
    Are you sure you are compiling and building gcc only and not a myriad of examples and demos with it? Even so, the compile time is far longer than to be expected.

portage is the package management system that Gentoo uses. It fetches the source code and compiles the program for your specific settings. Such as cflags, cxxflags, arch, and USE.

Never been to the MIT swap meet but maybe see me at Fenway. I will have check that out though send me some info on the next one if you can.

here is a link on portage.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Gentoo sounded like a good idea, Spencerf, until I downloaded the ISO (livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso) off the gentoo site, burned it and tried to boot with it. I saw a lot of really cool boot messages and startup screens but after about 2 minutes the screen went dead, the system was totally unresponsive and I had to do a hard reboot.

After three more attempts at the same, I have done three more hard reboots of my unresponsive system. I am now downloading install-x86-minimal-2006.0.iso (also from gentoo.org) to burn and boot later tonight. Hopefully I can get the "bare-bones" of this distro working long enough to download the tools and toys I need. Updates to follow!

Yeah I've heard basically nothing but bad things relating the the "live cd." I always use the minimal cd and then basically everything gets installed from the net. Make sure you follow the handbook because the Gentoo install is text based and if you don't follow the handbook it is a recipe for disaster. Also if you want GCC 4.1 it is best to install it right after you have installed the base system. So basically right after your first reboot (after you configure grub) you need to update GCC.

Currently GCC 4.1 is masked but if you want a bleeding edge system (warning may break stuff but I use it on two computers) add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to your make.conf and to unmask GCC 4.1 add this line to /etc/portage/package.unmask (you need to create this file just use nano)

Code:
    /etc/portage/package.unmask
    ~sys-devel/gcc-4.1.0
    this will unmask 4.1 and any releases in the future for 4.1 candidates.

If you have any other Gentoo questions like what CFLAGS and what USE flags just start a new thread and if i don't respond pm me and i will. Also it is a good idea to set up an account of forums.gentoo.org because the guys using Gentoo are usually pretty linux savvy way more so than I but I've Gentoo for a year on 5 different computers so I know the basics of getting a nice system up and running.

Just Joined!
    I've got the minimal install cd up and running. Gentoo looks good, but I'm going to have to wait until after finals to devote myself to it. Thanks to everyone for their help with my compilation problem.

Spencerf, the next post you see from me will most likely be in the gentoo forums. Thanks for your help. Here is the info about the MIT swap fest I mentioned.

Peace!

cool thanks for the info. My user name in gentoo forums is bobspencer123 not spencerf.