Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am working on a dev board at the moment with a barebone linux kernel and a web server (thttpd) installed on it. This will eventually become a home router. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fez
    Just Joined!

Embedded Linux HTML to CLI connection

I am working on a dev board at the moment with a barebone linux kernel and a web server (thttpd) installed on it. This will eventually become a home router. I am trying to develop a front-end gui for the router using HTML similar to those used in regular home routers to set-up and change the configuration. I have been able to set up the webserver and access the pages from the board. The next step is to make these webpages actually do something. I am looking for a way to call the linux (and my own) CLI by clicking a button or link on these pages, but I have no clue how to go about doing that.

Any help/ideas/resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

If it's a web interface to administer server services, you could do worse than to download webmin from here, i found it quite useful for stuff like that
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

fez
    Just Joined!
    It's actually a web interface to support the board's firmware configurations. As I mentioned it will eventually become similar to a home router. So the web interface needs to somehow connect to the linux CLI in order to change the configuration.
    For example, in a simplest case, it would be a user typing in an IP address and netmask in the webpage and hitting "submit" and that would in turn execute an ifconfig command. Something to that effect...

Thanks for the Webmin link though. I'll take a look at it and see if I can learn something relevent.

as for the firmware configurations i think that would require a homebrew situation, but as for the rest of it, webmin should easily suit
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327