Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why do people actually use ASP microsoft's active server pages, as its limited to only microsoft platforms ? or JSP Java Server pages that is limited to Java Webservers? PHP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Why ASP ? OR JSP ? and Not PHP ?

Why do people actually use ASP microsoft's active server pages, as its limited to only microsoft platforms ? or JSP Java Server pages that is limited to Java Webservers?

PHP on the other hand is free and is not tied to anyone platform.

I've wondered that many a time as my ex-employer (OfficeMAX) ran ALL of their BackOffice software (web interface) through ASP. I believe that it comes from M$ making everything easy to do (even though it's probably a half-ass job in the end). Just look at FrontPage. Any idiot can copy/paste/click a website together extremely easily.

/me shrugs.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Why do people actually use ASP microsoft's active server pages, as its limited to only microsoft platforms ? or JSP Java Server pages that is limited to Java Webservers?
    If your the webmaster but have no control over your hositng service, it may only support asp or another feature.

It's obvious a cross platform language that is not dependant on server side support is best. But there are some functions that you must have server side support. Well then you have to choose what your web server supports either mysql or M$ SQL etc...
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User

asp

ASP can be run on Apache using Chillisoft ASP which I think is made by SUN or something.

Also web services are a fairly new tech, people who have an existing infrastructure stick with it. If you adopt MS software across the board and with full enthusiasm it is really feature packed. For instance, if you use MS Project with Office and an MS Server with all the stuff installed then you get loads of workgroup features, shared calendars, email updates, a project web site, etc. All out of the box on a standard install. Yes it costs an absolute fortune but many large companies are willing to pay the cost for guarantees. It WILL work (it might crash once a week but it will work) instead of the usual IT 'cop out' of 'it should work' or 'it can be done'.

ASP was based on VB which was so simple to use that anyone could make a few basic apps which were useful to them. VB.NET has removed this simplicity and I think will move users away from VB and ASP generally. Now if you want two VB forms to communicate you need to understand a little bit about OOP. In essence ASP was designed to encourage VB programmers to start migrating to the web.

In general , I think PHP is superior and easier to use especially in conjunction with MySQL. But again a little programming knowledge is required. If you don't like or understand arrays or objects then PHP is going to be difficult to learn.

As a general point about programming technologies, I find cross platform stuff to be either slower or more abstracted / complicated where as platform specific normally follows the same logical paradigms as the underlying layer or OS. Although PHP is multiplatform is feels like a linux language.

When developing for the web choosing a server specific technology is often the best solution. Being tied to one server type (as long as it's a common one) isn't usually a problem. I work with a company that uses only javascript and XML - in an attempt to be really open. This just makes everything 100 times harder as each browser sets their own standards.

Anyway rant over. Enjoy your coding no matter what your using.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

You also have asp.NET support for apache by mono. The module is called modMONO and can be downloaded from www.go-mono.com!