Find the answer to your Linux question:
for anyone that is curious, here is a link to the SUSv3/POSIX specifications... i have the HTML on my HDD and find it useful when i need to know what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Single Unix Specification/POSIX.1

for anyone that is curious, here is a link to the SUSv3/POSIX specifications... i have the HTML on my HDD and find it useful when i need to know what function prototypes are in what headers... also, it's very informative as to how a standards-compliant *nix system works internally...
    http://www.unix-systems.org/online.html
    be warned, though.. it can be a bit boring to read.. it *is* tech specs, after all...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    Otherwise, if you just want to look up what header files to use, the manpages are a great and fast alternative.

Linux Engineer
    true... but i've found that some of the definitions in the susv3 are a bit more informative than the man pages... either that or in my current sleep-deprived state i'm getting that backwards..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    I can't deny that. The SUS is certainly a good thing to have.