Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently purchased a book called Practical c++, by Rob McGregor. I've read some of it and it looks like a decent book but i'm wondering if anyone in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

c++ book

I recently purchased a book called Practical c++, by Rob McGregor. I've read some of it and it looks like a decent book but i'm wondering if anyone in the Linux community has read it and what their opinions are? Also, I was wondering if the examples can be applied to c++ programming in Linux. I know some of the exapmples the author uses are done in MS Visual C++ but most of them aren't. If anyone here hasd read it and used the examples I like to hear what you thought or if I can apply this to Linux programming at all.

Thanks.

The best thing for you to do with that book is to try the examples on Linux and see if they work, if not, make them work.

That will help you learn C++ for Linux as well as Linux/Windows portability issues.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    thanks for the quick reply. I am using it with Linux and it is a good way to learn the differences between the two platforms for programming's sake. I was also curious if anyone else had read the book and what they thought.
    Thanks again,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I can't give you any information on the book, because I have, in fact, never ever read a book about either C or C++. However, I just wanted to notify you about the presence of the libc texinfo. It's extremely useful when you want to find a specific function or want to know how one works or the like. It also offers a lot of valuable documenation on how UNIX/Linux works in many programmatical aspects. Just type "info libc" at a shell to bring it up.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and it is great, just what I needed. It was something that I had no idea was there. I've been a linux user for a couple of years but have just started programming on it in the last few months. Previously I did all my development on Windows and so far I like the Linux platform much better.
    Thanks again,

Just Joined!
    I haven't read the book that you mentioned, but I am familiar with a variety of others. The definitive 'C' manual is "The C Programming Language", by Kernighan and Ritchie, the creators of the language. Also, a great web reference is the url: http://www.linuxhq.com/guides/LPG/lpg.html
    The website also contains a variety of guides on kernel hacking.

Just Joined!
    yep
    'info libc' gives alot of information.

Linux Guru
    slant6, like I said, I haven't read any books on programming - "The C Programming Language" by K&R, does that describe K&R C or ANSI C? Do you happen to know that?

Linux Engineer
    in this article, Dennis Ritchie explains the chronology of events in the development of C and where his book and the ANSI C standard came about.. IIRC, K&R's book is now only of historical significance.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    I should have been more specific, I meant "The Second Edition" of "The C Programming Language" which describes ANSI C! I've never read the "First Edition", but from lordnothing's post it looks like the first edition was for K&R C, and the second edition was updated for ANSI C.