Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a table with a column in it there are like 2000 entries down this column... the table name is "products" and the column is "products_image" example: 1234.jpg 321.jpg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

"find and replace" in SQL??

i have a table with a column in it there are like 2000 entries down this column...
    the table name is "products" and the column is "products_image"

example:

1234.jpg
    321.jpg
    3456.jpg
    5678.jpg

what SQL query should i use to replace *.jpg with *.gif down the entire column??
    i dont know squat about SQL...

Globbing is not a good idea in SQL, as changes remain permanent. You will find there aren't many ways to do it either. There are no for loops in sequel. I would suggest using a select query to take all the details:
    Code:
    use your_database_name
    select products_image from picture
    then use a search/replace in your favourite text editor and then create (a rather repetitive) script for doing this.
    Code:
    update products set products_image = '1234.gif' where products_image = '1234.jpg'
    update products set products_image = '321.gif' where products_image = '321.jpg'
    This is a cursor, and it's not a clean or quick way to do it, but it is a way that you can verify your results beforehand by inspecting your values.
    It's not how any coder likes to do things, but with SQL I never take chances.

PS Don't forget to backup before any bulk inserts!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Globbing is not a good idea in SQL, as changes remain permanent. You will find there aren't many ways to do it either. There are no for loops in sequel. I would suggest using a select query to take all the details:
    Code:
    use your_database_name
    select products_image from picture
    then use a search/replace in your favourite text editor and then create (a rather repetitive) script for doing this.
    Code:
    update products set products_image = '1234.gif' where products_image = '1234.jpg'
    update products set products_image = '321.gif' where products_image = '321.jpg'
    This is a cursor, and it's not a clean or quick way to do it, but it is a way that you can verify your results beforehand by inspecting your values.
    It's not how any coder likes to do things, but with SQL I never take chances.

PS Don't forget to backup before any bulk inserts!
    yeah, thats a good idea... it looks like it will do what i want...however, damage to the database in this case is not a concern... i back it up before executing *any* queries... and i can always just hit the restore button... (the backup and restore system is not on the same server as the SQL database..)

can i do *.jpg and *.gif????

Well the wildcard in SQL is % rather than * when you are working with strings. * means all. I'm not sure if it would work to do a %.jpg/%.gif. I know you can embed mysql statements into bash, maybe someone here can jump in and take over. Unfortunately my SQL experience is mainly from MSSQL Server, and I haven't done much with MySQL on and Unix systems.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Well the wildcard in SQL is % rather than * when you are working with strings. * means all. I'm not sure if it would work to do a %.jpg/%.gif. I know you can embed mysql statements into bash, maybe someone here can jump in and take over. Unfortunately my SQL experience is mainly from MSSQL Server, and I haven't done much with MySQL on and Unix systems.
    yeah, im working on a linux machine and the database is in MySQL...

Just Joined!
    I was looking for the same thing kinda...
    Here is what I got:

UPDATE products
    SET products_image = stuff(products_image,len(products_image)-3,3,'gif')
    where (products_image like '%.jpg')

Please note - I used this on SQL server

You may have to fudge around with the numbers to lop-off the jpg and insert the gif.

Hope this helps