Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to solve this problem ( getopts )

Hi there, i'm newbe to linux script programming.

./which [-a] cmd

- The script should scan the ( with optional) command name provided and report PATH(s) that
    includes the command
    - If the "-a" option is provided, it should report all possible paths.
    - If the "-a" option is not provided, it should report that (only one) path in which cmd is
    executed
    also i want to display appropriate error messages as required

can anyone give me a clue or show me some code to get an idea who to get use getopts so far

thanx

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/man...pt.html#Getopt

That link describes the glibc implementation of getopt. It has information on using it, as well as an example.

I feel like I should mention that for this particular program, getopt may be overkill. This is pretty easy to parse.

EDIT:

Ah. Are you doing Bash scripting? Oopsie. The above is for C.

For Bash scripting, check out the getopts man page ("man getopts"). Also, a Google for "getopts" gets a ton of hits with explanations and examples.

Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

The link below will provide a number of hits for getopts, examples, etc for the shell builtin, but you'll need to search for getopts once you get to that page.

This is almost always a source of internal tension for me -- if the script is truly single-shot that I will toss after a use or two, I will not use getopts. On the other hand, I toss scripts so rarely that I often use getopts, just in case I'll add something else.

All that being said, I agree with Cabhan, I'd probably just look for the argument being "-a" ... cheers, drl

http://www.tldp.org/
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    thanx for your post, my problems are solved

btw, i try to do another jobs.

for example :

i have a file that contains 10line of " Hello World " :helloworld
    i want to scan the file (count the number )and print the out the result.

$ ./wordfreq helloworld
    Hello 10
    World 10

so help me out plz.

thanx again.

These sound a great deal like homework questions. Posting homework questions is not allowed under the Forum Rules, and for this reason, I am not going to give you any exact code.

However, it seems to me that in order to solve this problem, you need to determine what qualifies as a word, then parse each line and find each word on that line. For each word, check if you've encountered it before: if you have, increment that counter, and if not, start a new counter for this word at 1.

how do u get each word separate by whitespace , which command do we use to get each word to compare with the other

can you give me some clues .

Thanx