Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to make a backup script that will create a directory with the date and then copy the files to that new date directory and then create a tar ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

backup script help

I'm trying to make a backup script that will create a directory with the date and then copy the files to that new date directory and then create a tar file with the date. Here is what I'm after, but I don't know what code would be for date (I just put in %date% for example). Any help would be great. Thanks

cd /backups/
    mkdir %date%
    cd /backups/%date%
    cp -r /home/www/* /backups/%date%
    tar -cvzf /backups/%date%.tar.gz /backups/%date%/

You probably want to capture the output of the 'date' command into a variable, and use it repeatedly. The 'date' command reports the time and date including seconds, so its output changes frequently, so its not just a convenience to call it once, but a necessity.

You can change the format of the time and date reported by 'date' with command line flags.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

There is so many threads on that subject, I'm sure you can find something interesting in one of them.

Like this one for example :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...t-newbies.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Unless there is a reason (like rapidly changing data files), I wouldn't copy everything and then tar it, I would just tar it in place.

For example, today this would create file /backups/www090806.tar.gz which backs up all files in /home/www.
    Code:
    tar -cvzf /backups/www$(date +%m%d%y).tar.gz /home/www