Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a windows box with a share on it containing photos (\family\pictures) and I have a linux server running RedHat 9. I was wanting to write some sort of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grabbing files from a remote machine

I have a windows box with a share on it containing photos (\\family\pictures) and I have a linux server running RedHat 9. I was wanting to write some sort of script to run as a CRON job that would grab the contents of the share and copy them to the /data/pics directory on the server and then optionally delete them from the smb share. Does anyone know how I should go about this?

Linux User

more define

define optionally delete the files.

also you need to think about overwriting files that have already been copied. maybe each time the script runs it should make a folder in the new dir called today's date and put the pics in there.

why are you doing this?

why not search for backup scripts. I have seen some before to automate amanda. but basic file copy stuff would work fine.

what language(s) can you use?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

You best bet would be to use bash / shell scripting there is a good howto on bash scripting at TLDP or you could look into CPIO for backups.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Giro, I'll look into that