Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybodypeeps! I'm trying to port a (what I thought was) relatively simple 250 line program from Windoze Console to Linux. However I have hit a few small snags - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help I'm trying to port Windoze C code!

Hi everybodypeeps!

I'm trying to port a (what I thought was) relatively simple 250 line program from Windoze Console to Linux.

However I have hit a few small snags - the Windoze version uses GetPrivateProfileString (which I can cope with doing a little INI file reading function) and using _findfirst.

Now I know glob can find files just as well as _findfirst can BUT what it doesn't do is tell you the last time_write which is crucial to the whole program.

Is there a function in Linux that tells you the last time the file was written to? ( I REALLY don't want to fudge about with ls -l)

Cheers

I admit I don't really know the answer to that one, but would the 'touch' command be any use to you? It deals with time stamps on files, so perhaps there's a workaround in there somewhere.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately no I need to know when a particular file was created not to change it.

Thanks though - its along that track (if only it could return the time stamp instead of setting it!)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I wouldn't normally suggest this, and not sure if the forum moderators like it, but I would pm Dolda2000 (one of the moderators on this forum). He seems to know a lot about code and I am pretty sure he could give you an answer.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

i say keep it on the forums dolda2000 will be around sooner or later to read this post
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    The function
    Code:
    int stat(const char *file_name, struct stat *buf);
    will tell you all available file information. You will need to include the following headers:
    Code:
    #include <sys/stat.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    Also, try the man pages for more information about the function.