Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to write a program that rips cd's into ogg files, stores the cd that you ripped in some database so you can search lator, can play files, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Just need some help making a decision

I want to write a program that rips cd's into ogg files, stores the cd that you ripped in some database so you can search lator, can play files, and is an all around good platform for playing music.

My main question should I script this with something like python or should I go with C or some compiles labguage.

Also with the databaseing would the best thing to use is mysql or should I just store things in a text file.

If I go script file I will probably just write a front end for oggenc, cdparanoia and so on.

I want a fast solution but I also want the solution to be reliable. and maybe portable across platforms.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux User

php

I've seen a few php scripts and tutorials for writing PHP mp3 jukebox style apps with a web interface. what about working on something like that for ogg formats. then you'd be able to put a couple of mini pc's around the house and have a networked jukebox system via a web interface - win the lottery by a couple of touch screens and you're cool!

if you're using C then I would use text files. coz C is fast and text access is simple.
    If you're using something else (like php) then I'd use a database as its neater and would allow additional stuff to be bolted on later very easily.

If you go for a web based solution then keep me posted. Always interested in fun stuff with PHP.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    Saw this in a magazine that may be of use

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/...Apache_MP3.pdf
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I love kpzani's idea of a web-based interface. I would have to suggest something like this using mysql and PHP (+perl if necessary).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Ok I think I've decided to write a front end for the utils oggenc and cdparanoia. Of course I also want to write a player that interfaces with the database so you can view all of your music and search it and play it . The webinterface is kind of interesting but what could you really do with it. What kind of functionality would you want with.

Thanx for the input so Far

Bignester
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)