Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A good C++ IDE (in fact - editor)

Hi guys!

I've been a C programmer, but now I have to write in C++. And now I need a little more options, supported by my editor. I like vim but I need:

1) Auto completion with Ctrl+Space. I don't know if that's only the M$ way for auto completion, 'cos the only thing I've seen supporting this is M$ Visual Studio, so I need anything that can do this: when a have a variable "alabala" and when I type "ala" and press Ctrl+Space (or whatever it is) to have written "alabala" or see a falling menu with all the <things> that start with "ala".

2) When I have an object from some class and I type the name of the object and a dot (.) after it to see a falling menu with all the methods and variables in the class. For example if I have a class Student with a method Print() and an object S from that class, when I type "S." I want to see a falling menu with all the methods from the class including Print().

I am used to compiling sources in the console, so I don't need an IDE in fact, but I don't know if there exists only an editor that supports these two things. Please, tell me an editor or an IDE that will satisfy my needs.

By the way, I'm a Kubuntu user.

Linux User
    Anjuta, KDevelop and Eclipse with CDT support the features you are looking for.
    They are full-fleged IDEs - not just text editors - in fact, I don't think there are just plain text editors capable of doing what you want them to do.

HTH
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

OK, I tried KDevelop, but:

1) To see the falling menus, one should create a Project, which makes at least 20 files in the current directory.

2) No auto completion at all.

I'll try soon the other two you've said. Thanks a lot!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh1r0
    1) To see the falling menus, one should create a Project, which makes at least 20 files in the current directory.
    Almost all IDEs work with only the concept of a project - including MS Visual Studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh1r0
    2) No auto completion at all.
    I believe, KDevelop has auto-completion, albeit the key-strokes are a bit weird.
    Unfortunately, I don't have it installed right now to try it out
    You can check up the forums on KDevelop's site.
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Just Joined!
    I suggest to continue using vi. It's the best. I suppose you know that it does auto completion with Ctrl + p . Of course it doesn't support the dot auto completion with the members of classes

I know Netbeans has autocompletion for object - dot - something and I think it has it for variable names too. Just make sure if you try it, you also get the C/C++ Pack.

-->
    Eclipse has autocomplete. I don't remember the exact key sequence (usually it just pops up when I hit the period key, similar in Visual Studio. I think it's CTRL+SPACE, but I could be wrong.
    Registered Linux user #270181