Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i save my script as name.rb using kate and then go to the konsole term and type in ruby name.rb the script wont run. I had unix for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

saving and running ruby scripts

When i save my script as name.rb using kate and then go to the konsole term and type in ruby name.rb the script wont run. I had unix for a short period of time before installing linux and it worked perfectly. I cant figure this one out i got ruby installed i got the text editor i write the script and save it as name.rb. Yet when i go to the konsole and type in ruby name.rb it says file not found. Anyone know how to fix this? i have suse pro 9.0 if it helps.

Just Joined!
    At the top of the script make sure you have the shebang correct:

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

or just use

ruby prog.rb

done.

I tend to use perl and python myself... I can never find a machine with ruby installed... including my own.

Richard

Just Joined!
    ruby prog.rb is what i was doing and it wasnt working( was telling me could not find file). The shebang i couldnt figure out how to change it(on unix it was automated i guess so i never bothered). So assuming changing the shebang is the answer how would i change it to what you typed.

Just Joined!
    i logged in as the root user and ruby scripts ran perfectly. I dont know exactly why it works on root and not on the other user but all my problems are solved even if i figured out the answer by accident heh.

Just Joined!
    Sounds like a permission problem. To allow others to execute it

chmod 0644 name.rb

ruby name.rb

or

chmod 0755 name.rb

./name.rb

Richard