Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i email a file from one person to another in bash? I know there is a mail command and i tried Code: mail email_address < file and this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sending email in bash

how do i email a file from one person to another in bash? I know there is a mail command and i tried
    Code:
    mail email_address < file
    and this didnt produce an error but didnt send the email either. How do i use the mail command?

That should work. I just experimented with something similar, which works for me:
    Code:
    echo 'This is a test.' | mail -r me@mine -s 'A test' me@myother
    -r specifies the from address, -s specifies the subject. And of course I used real email addresses.

This test also revealed that I had errors in my ~/.mailrc file (which contains aliases for email addresses) because the 'mail' command griped about them.

Just Joined!
    i tried that and i get an error it says
    mail: options MUST PRECEDE persons
    Also, i assume that sends the stuff in ' ' right? I want to send the contents of a file. It has something to do with the file being empty i think because when i tried to send an empty file using
    mail email_address < file it does not print an error, however it doesn't deliver the message either. But if i do that same command: mail email_address < file and the file is not empty then it gives the erorr message and sometimes the error message reads:
    exec failed. errno=2.
    mail: ERROR signal 13
    Any ideas?

errno 2 is ENOENT, "No such file or directory". Are you sure you typed the file right?

Redirecting from a file like you did should be exactly the same as piping echo like I did. But It sounds like you can't send an empty mail message.

I'm using the mail program on Mandriva, which is actually 'nail', which I guess is now known as Heirloom mailx. Hopefully different versions work the same.

Just Joined!
    well when it was empty there was no error message but the message still didn't send. However, i get the error message if i try to mail with a file that is not empty.