Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am starting out with Kdevelop. I am an experienced programmer, but have never programmed in a Linux enviorment. I started with Kdevelop and I am running into a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kdevelop HELP

Hey, I am starting out with Kdevelop. I am an experienced programmer, but have never programmed in a Linux enviorment. I started with Kdevelop and I am running into a lot of trouble that I never had in Visual C++. I want to create a GUI and have done so with Kdevelop Design, but I can't figure out for the hell of me how to get it into Kdevelop so I could actually work on it. The only way I see possible would take hours by going through the lines of code. Also how does "main.cpp" affect the program. From what I see it handles the starting/creating/background functionality of the application. The application I need to build will have many windows so how would that work? If it is to much work to answer in a post if you e-mail me at gmelcer3 -at- gmail dot com I will be happy to send you my phone number.

-GEORGE

Are you trying to write WIN32 application in Linux?

Just Joined!
    Hello, gmelcer,

Actually KDevelop is using Qt3 programming language. So possibly the best way is to download Qt3 (including Qt3 Designer from www.trolltech.com). This Qt3 designer has a very good built-in help system (Qt Assistant), includes also a number of "Hello, world/Hello, MainWindow/...." examples.

The more recent version is Qt4, so You can use it either (but notice that Qt3 and Qt4 differ and Qt4 is not quite backward compatible).

For more details, there are "classical" books:
    "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3"
    "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4"
    In Google You may find printed copies, though some people claim there are also free electronic dowload versions.

Good luck,

Xaleandr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Qt isnt a programming language ! Its a C++ API.

Anyway Qt3 is out of date...

I learn Qt4 right now...its realy cool

Just Joined!
    Hello, jan1024188

You are certainly right, Qt is an API (not a programming language, its a mistake),

Qt3 is a bit obslolete,
    but
    1. KDE3.x.y is written in Qt3 (not Qt4 so far !)
    2. Due to this fact, most distributions have qt3 libraries installed, not qt4. So, if You write some application in qt4, You have either to provide binaries for all distros or to convince user install qt4 libraries in addition to qt3.
    3. Qt3 apps can be translated to Qt4, but not vice versa
    4. Qt3 is itself quite a good API, it is sufficient to create "average" GUI
    5. Qt3 Designer IMHO was more usable (though less eye-candy), especially for the beginner