Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've only just migrated to Linux from Windows and am trying to use Python 2.5 which was preinstalled on my Suse Linux 10.2 distro. I read somewhere that Idle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Python Idle on Suse 10.2

Hi,
    I've only just migrated to Linux from Windows and am trying to use Python 2.5 which was preinstalled on my Suse Linux 10.2 distro.
    I read somewhere that Idle comes packaged on Linux distro's so how do I access it? At the minute I only have python running in the terminal window. On Windows,Idle was really user friendly and having just a terminal window is a bit of a step down.

Thanks,
    Tim

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead
    Hi,
    I've only just migrated to Linux from Windows and am trying to use Python 2.5 which was preinstalled on my Suse Linux 10.2 distro.
    I read somewhere that Idle comes packaged on Linux distro's so how do I access it? At the minute I only have python running in the terminal window. On Windows,Idle was really user friendly and having just a terminal window is a bit of a step down.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Code:
    import sys
    print sys.path
    when you do the above, it shows where your Python libraries are located. From these directories, you can find idle.py . then on command line, change to that directory where idle.py is, and do
    # python idle.py <options if any>

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I did what you said and found that python 2.5 was installed in /usr/python2.5/ ...

When I used Nautilus to explore these, I couldnt find Idle though.
    Maybe it isnt there. Should it be in a folder of its own?

thanks,
    tim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead
    Hi,
    I did what you said and found that python 2.5 was installed in /usr/python2.5/ ...

When I used Nautilus to explore these, I couldnt find Idle though.
    Maybe it isnt there. Should it be in a folder of its own?

thanks,
    tim
    first, you can see whether under /usr/python2.5 , there's a Tools directory. it should be there as indicated here. IDLE is distributed with each Python distribution. however you can also use find to search
    eg
    Code:
    find /usr -type f -name "idle.py"
    if you can't find then maybe you want to download and install again from sourceforge. that is the last option.