Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I go about if I wish to fopen() a file that is in /home for instance from a php program? This is a file that I'm not able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reading files in /home from php program

How do I go about if I wish to fopen() a file that is in /home for instance from a php program? This is a file that I'm not able to chmod +666 because it is recreated all the time. Is there some way that I can set the priviliges of the php program to allow it to read files in the entire file system? The system is Redhat 9 and I'm the admin.

Linux Guru
    If your php file is running as a command line script, run the script as root.

If the script is being called from a webserver, then set the necessary permissions on the /home directory so the apache user/group has read (and write if required) access to it.

The 3rd option is to modify whatever is creating the file so it chmod's it after it is created.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    If the script is being called from a webserver, then set the necessary permissions on the /home directory so the apache user/group has read (and write if required) access to it.
    Jason
    Thanks for the answer! It's being run from a webserver. How do I go about changing the permissions so that apache can read from /home?

/Alex

If it is your server why not run apache under that user (Dont if its root)?