Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a red hat box linux machine that I am using to program c++. I haven't been on this language and using it for almost a year and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot compile code

I have a red hat box linux machine that I am using to program c++. I haven't been on this language and using it for almost a year and a year ago it was working fine. However, today when I wrote some simple code to get used to c++, the compiler command would not work. It just basically did nothing and I had to control-C to stop the compilation. I even wrote a one line piece of code and the same thing happened.
    This machine started acting maybe a week or so ago. It will not let me add users or change passwords.
    I am not sure if there is something I can run on this machine to solve these errors.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Linux Engineer

post errors

Post your erorr messages in here. Use the 'code' tags to make them look neat. As far as your account administration is concerned, I think your system is damaged in someway. What version are u using? What desktop if any?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    When trying to compile the machine doesn't give an error message. It will just hang and I have to control-c to stop the compile.
    I am just stumped as to what would cause this to happen all of a sudden.
    I am working through a telnet connection and not directlyon the machine.

Linux Engineer

telnet

Hmm,

Once you telnet into the machine, try 'which gcc' and/or 'which g++'. From what you are telling me, I'm pretty sure that the compiler is installed yet it has trouble compiling. If it just hangs, that's really the linux machine problem. Is it reachable? I really can't help u much cause there's not much information that I can use here.

Just Joined!
    [root@red donr]# which g++
    /usr/bin/g++
    [root@red donr]# which gcc
    /usr/bin/gcc
    [root@red donr]#

I am not sure if this helps.

do you want to try to log in. I can't setup a temporary account, but you could use mine. I don't have a problem with that. I would have to get the login and passwords to you somehow other than this forum box.

Linux Engineer

Debian

suprtiger,

We can use that method as a last resort. I use Debian instead of Redhat when the version 8 came out because I absolutely hated it.
    The 'which' command was just to make sure that you had the compilers installed. It seems that you do.
    What other problems are u having with the machine? I believe you mentioned something about having problems creating user accounts, and other stuff. If this is happening, something in your system is wrong. Did you deinstall any packages lately?

Just Joined!
    Yes, the machine was acting up before i found that it would not compile. It will not allow me to add new users. When I try to do this, I get an error stating the password cannot be locked. Also I was trying to change a password for a user and it gave a manipulation error.
    About 2 weeks before I noticed the errors the machine was allowing me to do this. Nothing was taken off the machine. I am just puzzled as to why this started to do this. Is there a "conf" file someplace that could get this going wrong.

Linux Engineer

reinstall

tiger,

The only thing I can really recommend is that you reinstall Redhat 8. You can try to fix these things individually but I think that would take a lot of time to figure out exactly what is wrong with the system. Have you given root access to anyone? No one should be allowed to modify any packages. Did you install something when this started happening? In my experience with linux, I always thought that the system was acting up but in most cases, I did something to make that happen. However, I have to say there were a handful of times when things just did go wrong even when I didn't modify anything.

Just Joined!
    Being somewhat new, even though I have had some boxes up with red hat. Can you install over an existing setup? Will everything be lost?
    I could back up the important files.
    I am the only one that has root privileges.
    Thanks for your help. It is really appreciated.

Linux Engineer

reinstallation

tiger,

Well, I actually surprised that no one else is replying to your posts. I think the reason for that is due to this discussion being in this topic. It really doens't have to do with C/C++ but rather administration. Anyhow, you can reinstall over an existing system. I'd advise you to save your necessary files. At this point, I'm going to guess that they are small C/C++ programs. They should fit nicely into a floppy disk. Let me know if you still need more help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast