Find the answer to your Linux question:
The problem is: I am trying to install linux on a brand new machine without anything on it the harddrive is empty and everything is clear, i am using RedHat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 9.0 instillation problem

The problem is: I am trying to install linux on a brand new machine without anything on it the harddrive is empty and everything is clear, i am using RedHat 9.0 on 3 cds and when i try to install it gives the error:

Code: 8b 42 10 8b 40 30 ff 74 24 10 ff 74 24 10 52 ff 10 83 c4 0c
    <0>Kernal panic: Attempted to kill init!

I tried using the command linux mem=256 noprobe and just linux noprobe and linux lowres but it goes to a screen that says:

"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel."

Then it just sits there. I let it sit there at that screen for a whole day and nothing happened. What is my problem?

Linux Guru
    Now, that's not a good sign at all. I can't say everything conclusively without the entire oops report, but if you get a kernel panic like that, it's because of one out of two possible things: Bad media or bad hardware.

Do these CDs work on other machines?

It's not impossible that a brand new machine has been shipped with bad RAM. Try download memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/ and use it to test the machine's RAM properly. It will take a couple of hours.

Just Joined!
    here is what i got into on the hardware. I put a different hard drive, different memory, different cd-drive and it still does the same thing so i thought ya it is the linux cd i have but i tried to install windows too and windows just froze after a minute and stayed there. I haven't a clue what is wrong other than the processer and motherboard are incompatible.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Something similar happened to me years ago when I was building a computer for a friend of mine. Everything we tried to run on it would crash within minutes. It turned out to be that when I initially set up the BIOS settings, I accidently hit the "Install the overclocking default settings" button, which obviously had a pretty serious impact on the reliability. Couldn't it be something similar?