Find the answer to your Linux question:
As I try to boot from the FC2 disk 1 the first screen comes up fine: press enter for graphical installer, install text for text mode etc. However no matter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC2 - installer just won't work

As I try to boot from the FC2 disk 1 the first screen comes up fine: press enter for graphical installer, install text for text mode etc. However no matter what option I choose my system just reboots.
    A friend of mine had a similar problem with one of the test releases and fixed the problem by updating his BIOS. I just finished flashing my BIOS (it was about 6 months out of date) but the rebooting problem presists.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a fix (asside from BIOS update)??

Any help would be great as FC2 is beautiful (installer works fine on my ThinkPad T40 laptop)

Thanks in advance

- flip

Just Joined!
    I have another problem with the installer! When I insert the CD, the menu comes up, and if I select graphical or text mode, some text will scroll up the screen like normal, then it will give me an error and just sit there doing nothing. I have a dual boot Windoze XP (for games)/Fedora Core 1 set up on a Gateway 450ROG laptop. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks.

My Error: kernel panic: attempted to kill init

Linux Newbie
    I'm having the same problem as flip. I burned the DVD ISO, and when I went to install, it would just reboot the system. I tried to verify my media, but it also causes a reboot. Thinking it may be a burn error, I tried it on a different brand of DVD media, on 2.4x speed instead of 4x. Still reboots.

With this and the MBR errors, FC2 is really turning into a turnoff... not to say I'm giving up, by any means.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!

not a media problem

Just like PeasleeR my desktop won't let me verify my CD's. I have however been able to verify and install FC2 on my ThinkPad T40 laptop from the same CD's. I really wish this was a media problem
    I've been out of town for a few days and haven't had time to work on this problem but I'll be hitting some mailing lists soon and will share any info I come up with.

- flip

Linux Guru
    What exact CPU do you have in your computer, flip?

Just Joined!

Hardware

Hardware::

• CPU: P4 2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2-Cache
      Mother Board: Asus P4P800

- flip

Just Joined!
    Ya guys I'm haveing the same problem and I'm wondering if it's because the fedora 2 ISO's are all i386 and when I install redhat 9 I get i686. No idea on how to solve this problem. But has anyone had this same issue with FC1?

Linux Newbie
    This problem is central to Asus motherboards, I think isolated to the P4**** series. (IE, P4P800, P4C800, etc.) There is a method to install it anyway, at fedorafaq. http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installreboot

Good luck everyone :-)
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    Are you all using a DVD, or do some of you have four CDs?

i remember that i had trouble getting a boot DVD, i think the files are messed up...

Anyways, i just had a sucessfull install onto my system (p4ht:3.0E, on an abit)