Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use to connect to Internet with KPPP as the redhat-control-network always produced error 8 (some script error!). I get through as far as connection is concerned. But for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How KPPP Works

I use to connect to Internet with KPPP as the redhat-control-network always produced error 8 (some script error!).

I get through as far as connection is concerned. But for a first few logins it works (say for two to three days or so). Then after I get connected to my ISP but the only message below the browser is resolving.... and then it gives error. When I see detail from the the KPPP connected dialogue tab (box), the graph goes on with bottom line. That is it does not bring in or send out any data. I tried changing various options in the connection. Like using Lock file, disabling local DNS, providing the DNS number of my ISP and all. But nothing works.

Can anybody please help?

Dinesh

Red Hat 9
    Distributed by a leading magazine "PCQuest" of India in April/May 2004.

Linux Engineer
    Sounds like it could be a problem with your ISP. Has this problem happend only once and you still cannot get online with your linux box or does it come and go? Like the connection will work for a few days and then stop for a few days? If its intermitent problem than what length of time is it unavailable for? Also you should call your ISP during the event and ask if they are haveing any problems.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Sounds like it could be a problem with your ISP. Has this problem happend only once and you still cannot get online with your linux box or does it come and go? Like the connection will work for a few days and then stop for a few days? If its intermitent problem than what length of time is it unavailable for? Also you should call your ISP during the event and ask if they are haveing any problems.
    No there is no problem with my ISP because my windows machine gets connected properly.

As far as my Linux is concerned, it connects only once after each fresh installation. However, in the latest installation, I chose not to invoke my eth0 connection every time I log into Linux. Also, this time till today I did not touch the program of redhat-config-network. Consequently, my KPPP keeps me connecting properly to Internet.

Thus I infer that there must be some problem with my eth0 connection to my other compuets.

Thanks for your concern and reply.

Dinesh

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close