Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That's rather new to me. =) Anyway, everything's solvable. I'm suspecting it has to do with that hda in the drive order list - GRUB probably can't load its own ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That's rather new to me. =)
    Anyway, everything's solvable. I'm suspecting it has to do with that hda in the drive order list - GRUB probably can't load its own stage2 properly this way. Do you have a hda in this computer, or are those S-ATA drives the only drives in it?

It would be most helpful if you could go through the following procedure:
    1. Go to my home page (link at bottom of post), and download the GRUB image (grub.img).
    2. Write it to a floppy disk (you don't need to format it, but everything on it will be lost, so back it up if you want to keep it), by running the following command (you can also use the rawrite.exe program, also from my homepage, do to that from a Windows or DOS system):
    Code:
    cat grub.img >/dev/fd0
    3. Boot from that floppy. That should bring you the "grub>" prompt.
    4. Start typing "root (hd", but don't press Enter. Press Tab instead, and see what output it brings up.
    5. Post that output back here.

Just Joined!
    Alright, check back in 5 minutes or less.

Just Joined!
    I DO have a hard drive on IDE, it's the 60GB one. Anyway, here's what it said:

Code:
    Possible disks are: hd0 hd1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oh, I see. In that case, it's strange that the GRUB disk only reported hd0 and hd1, and not an hd2 as well. In that case, I'll need some more info.

If you boot from the GRUB disk again, and type "root (hd0," and then Tab, what does it say then? And the same question with "root (hd1,".

Oh, and one more thing. Have you partitioned that P-ATA hard drive (that is, does it have a valid partition table)?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Oh, I see. In that case, it's strange that the GRUB disk only reported hd0 and hd1, and not an hd2 as well. In that case, I'll need some more info.

If you boot from the GRUB disk again, and type "root (hd0," and then Tab, what does it say then? And the same question with "root (hd1,".

Oh, and one more thing. Have you partitioned that P-ATA hard drive (that is, does it have a valid partition table)?
    ..P-ATA?

Linux Guru
    As in parallell ATA, or normal IDE. =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2