Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

In the meantime I got pissed off with Sabayon crashing (I hosed my system twice trying to do a world update) and installed Fedora 7 x86_64.

Youtube doesn't work when I run 32bit Firefox, but it does work when I run 64bit -- except for the volume controls! In fact, the only control button that works in the play/pause button!

The OBJ-TABS thing is only an issue for people running Adblock, not Adblock Plus.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy View Post
    In the meantime I got pissed off with Sabayon crashing (I hosed my system twice trying to do a world update) and installed Fedora 7 x86_64.

Youtube doesn't work when I run 32bit Firefox, but it does work when I run 64bit -- except for the volume controls! In fact, the only control button that works in the play/pause button!

The OBJ-TABS thing is only an issue for people running Adblock, not Adblock Plus.
    I had a very similar problem with Gentoo, luckily I had FC6 installed and was able to chroot, update/upgrade and save my system, but it's still giving me grief about world updates.
    I don't think my volume controls work in youtube either, i just turn the speakers up/down.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

For the original poster: I managed to screw up my youtube on 64bit fedora 7 so that it was acting in the way you describe, and I fixed it with the instructions here (click me)

Worked perfectly.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I had a very similar problem with Gentoo, luckily I had FC6 installed and was able to chroot, update/upgrade and save my system, but it's still giving me grief about world updates.
    Subject change:
    I really like the *idea* of gentoo. The idea of such a configurable updateable operating system, but it seems like there's so much infighting between gentoo people that they can't be bothered making portage stable. When I first installed gentoo ~3 years ago it was great -- world update worked like a dream, and portage had every package I could think of. But now, too many of the ebuilds are broken for my liking.

I like tinkering with linux, but it seemed like I was always trying to fix some problem introduced by a broken ebuild. If Sabayon migrates away from Gentoo (or if Gentoo settles down a bit) I'll think about going back.

I like tinkering with linux, but it seemed like I was always trying to fix some problem introduced by a broken ebuild. If Sabayon migrates away from Gentoo (or if Gentoo settles down a bit) I'll think about going back.
    Hi smolloy,

Have you tried Crux? There are a lot of similarities with Gentoo, namely portage. All packages are compiled from source, and it solves dependencies too with "prt-get." You'll occasionally run into problems with packages, and dependencies, but for the most part, they keep the repositories up to date. Also,I've never seen any distro that is faster including my experience with Gentoo. Crux is really just a lot of fun.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Have you tried Crux? There are a lot of similarities with Gentoo, namely portage.
    Thanks for the tip. If it relies on portage, does it suffer from the same broken ebuilds problem as Gentoo? Or does prt-get fix that?

Sorry to the original poster for hijacking this thread, but if you're still having problems you should hijack this back to the original subject! Or the mods can just go ahead and delete all the off-topic posts.

-->
    Thanks for the tip. If it relies on portage, does it suffer from the same broken ebuilds problem as Gentoo? Or does prt-get fix that?
    It's been about three years since I last used Gentoo, and I'm not detecting that Crux ports gives any more trouble than Gentoo portage. I think all package managers are going to give problems at some point, but with prt-get it's pretty easy usually to know where the package failed. I doubt you'd have any more trouble with it than with Gentoo and both work pretty much the same way, though Gentoo has a much larger support base. You do for instance:
    Code:
    prt-get depinst mplayer
    ...and it will seek to install dependencies and packages in the right order. I think Crux has taught me more about Linux than any other distro, save for Slackware. I use Crux with IceWM and it is blindingly fast... significantly and noticeably so. ozar has also used Crux from time to time and helped me when I first started with it. The lastest, 2.3 comes with a base system with a minimum X. If you like starting with a bare system and building from there as I do, I think you'd enjoy it too.

Oh... and they also have it for x86_64.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here