Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , I have two hard disks on my system, with fc3 on one and fc5 on the another.Now I would like to install , windows xp on the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install windows on a linux hard disk with fc3?

Hi ,

I have two hard disks on my system, with fc3 on one and fc5 on the another.Now I would like to install , windows xp on the hard distk with fc3. When I keep the Windows XP cd for formating this drive and installing windows , an error is shown.

How should I go further??

linuxAmateur

Which error? we can't help you if you don't post the exact error message. Which one did you install first FC5 or FC3? Which hard drive is first master, first slave, etc?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Hi and Welcome !

Create a NTFS or FAT32 partition before Windows installation.
    You should install Windows OS first because Boot Loader doesn't work properly in most machines.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Okay. I am not computer literate. I'm getting a new computer with Linux--thought that was a better compromise than getting VISTA. Anyhow, I am going to need to install Windows xp so are you saying I just erase Linux with the boot to windows cd and just have windows? Or do I install windows and partition in some fashion to re-install linux? I am really computer illiterate so your step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. I doubt I would ever be able to repay the favor of good advice. And, what would I use linux for?

Hi Mary !

This thread is pretty old and you should have started a new thread.
    Anyways, install Windows OS first. Create a free space for Linux and install Linux in that space. 8-10GB is enough for Linux.
    You wont have to do anything special for Windows/Linux dual boot setup. Installer of almost all Linux distros detect Windows OSes and setup dual boot by default.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First