Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have no linux experience but have installed Redhat 9.0 and I'm trying to get started using the book Redhat Linux 9 Bible. The book gave me the impression that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet connection -- ethernet adapter

I have no linux experience but have installed Redhat 9.0 and I'm trying to get started using the book Redhat Linux 9 Bible.

The book gave me the impression that during setup I would be asked questions related to configuring internet connection, but that did not happen. Not surpisingly, when installation was completed, I found that Mozilla could not connect to the internet.

So I go to System tools-->Internet Configuarion Wizard... and I am asked to slect Device type. I choose ethernet connection, go forward, and see "other ethernet card" and when I go forward, I see a "select ethernet adapter"screen.

There is a pulldown for adapter, but I don't know which one to choose. The network interface card is on-board (it's a P4S800D-E Asus motherboard). The specs say that the LAN is a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet controller, but I see nothing related to Marvell on the pulldown list.

Any tips on how I should proceed? Thanks!

Linux Newbie
    Hey, and welcome to the forums.. there are some really knowledgeable people here.

Head over to the Asus website and navigate to the download screen for your Mobo. Look for your NIC drivers, and make sure you download the latest LINUX drivers. Then follow the instructions in the readme that came with the drivers on how to install. After installation, it should set up your ethernet adapter on eth0, unless you have multiple NIC's, in which it would be a different number. Good luck :-)

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me