Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am running RH-9 on P4-1.7G. I am getting a message whenever I try to shutdown linux. The message appears after the line "halting filesystems.." it says - ....0x4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error when shutting down.

Hi,
    I am running RH-9 on P4-1.7G. I am getting a message whenever I try to shutdown linux. The message appears after the line "halting filesystems.."
    it says -
    ....0x4 Seek Complete Error
    ... 0x51 Device Status Error....blah blah...

Help me out to solve this.

Just Joined!
    hi balakrishnan,
    Perhaps, these mite help:

1). http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....pl%26rnum%3D2

2). http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3DN%26tab%3Dwg

3). http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwbo...rum/20720.html

4). As you can see from the above posts, it might be just a dma error. Try posting it on your hdd company's forum.

also, "putting this on grub ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 idebus=66 makes some boxes to work properly"

post if it helped ya,
    Dog Star

Just Joined!

thanks but...

It's definitely not a DMA error. It has got to be something else. One more thing \...regarding the new suggestion of yours I want to know ow exactly to include it in grub.

Just Joined!

the message...

I have tried to produce an exact copy of the message I see during the final stages of teh shutdown process. Check out if this helps you to suggest a solution for the problem I am facing.

unmounting file systems [OK]
    Halting system...
    flushing ide devices: hda hda : task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
    hda : task_no_data_intr : error=0x04 {DriveStatus Error}
    hdc
    Power down

(I also tried out passing the option suggested by you into GRUB...but it didn't make any difference)

What kernel version? Seems from looking around that its not a fatal error try the 2.6.7 kernel version and it should fix it also compile in the IDE bug fixes.

Just Joined!

I tried that too...

I am currently running kernel 2.6.7. But of no use. There is an oprion if you remember which says "use multimode by default". When I read the info about this option, it said that should I get an error like the one I am getting I should say "Y" to the option or else "N". I first tried with "N", there was no difference; but when I compiled with the option selected, there was a huge difference. Now instead of the message coming once it comes six times.

Just Joined!

Maybe

hi,
    Sometimes, this seem to happen with old/incompatible cables which doesn't support the udma mode that you're running. Check your'e cable or try your friend's cable to see if this is the problem.

ciao,
    siriusb

you might wanna try browsing through teh kernel options and looking for anything suspicous.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333