Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, I'm a Linux dummy. After I'd horrible nightmares with Windows, my friend who'se something of a computer whizkid installed Fedora core as my new OS. He set up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running SBC Yahoo DSL on Fedora core OS

First off, I'm a Linux dummy. After I'd horrible nightmares with Windows, my friend who'se something of a computer whizkid installed Fedora core as my new OS. He set up my computer for broadband cable Internet access through RCN (the ISP).

Unfortunately, RCN has become too expensive for me, so I have instead signed on to SBC Yahoo DSL. I've received their modem (Speedstream 5100). Currently, my Internet access is set up with a 4-port router (linksys BEFSR41) as a home network.

The installation CD I received from SBC is useless, since it is only meant for Windows and Mac Os.

My question is: how do I configure Linux to get onto the Internet through SBC Yahoo DSL? All the relevant help I googled assume I have a basic grasp of the Linux environment. Unfortuantely I don't and it gets frustrating when I see explanations talking of things like PPPoE, IP, DNS, etc. All this is alphabet soup to me and if ever they were needed on Windows, I didn't have to deal with them.

Another posting explained that if I have a router, I won't need the PPPoE and mentioned some four-letter acronym (beginning with a D if I remember correctly) that I would use instead. This thing isn't going to be merely plug and play, would it?

If not, what I need is a simple instruction that tells me how I can configure my router and modem so I can get on the Internet. I know that the Fedora equivalent of the Windows start button is the icon of the Red Hat. So it would help if the explanation starts off from this area should I be needing to cllick on to the equivalent of an Internet set up wizard.

Also, will I need to dismantle/uninstall anything from the RCN setup? If so, how?

Thanks.

vukoni
    ps. I am really anxious to get this right because if I dismantle anything, then I won't be able to have access to the Internet and thus my only helpline to this forum or my e-mail. RCN is disconnecting me on Tuesday. So, this is really urgent.

Linux Newbie
    I just got sbc yahoo dsl too. Since the install cd is crap (even on windows xp the cd didn't work) i called the magical 24/7 support number. your support should go something like this:

1. set your router to get its ip from dhcp ( your modem)

2. set your puters to use a static or dynamic ip, it doesn't matter since they are using the router as a gateway.

3. set your modem as the gateway for the router.

4. make sure that the modem and router have different ips. your modem will be set to 192.168.0.1 by default and i havent found a way to change that.

5. make sure you can ping the modem.

6. goto http://192.168.0.1

7. enter a username and password provided by the tech support. i think it is user: sbcregdefault or some thing like that.

8. make sure that you can goto yahoo.com and some other sites.

9. goto sbcreg.sbcglobal.net

10. do the stuff there with the help of the support ppl.

11. set the username and password that you made on the modem and reset it.

the number for the help is: 1-877-722-3755

good luck