Find the answer to your Linux question:
I searched on the forums for threads on the ever popular topic of world of warcraft. But the only threads to do with wow deal only with ubuntu. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 8 - World of Warcraft

I searched on the forums for threads on the ever popular topic of world of warcraft. But the only threads to do with wow deal only with ubuntu. I have installed Ubuntu SEVERAL times in the past and always tried installing world of warcraft, following dozens of guides, and i would always get to the starting video, you know, the really cool one that played the movie showing off all the classes with super realiztic graphics? Well as soon as i skip it, the hwole game shuts off, and the desktop would go completely white.

So THEN i tried on fedora by using TransGamings Cedega. Same thing. So i guess my question is this:

Will Fedora 8 be any more compatible with World of warcraft? I tried to find out if it came with wine, since it comes with all kinds of extras...and to be honest, not just world of warcraft, but windows games in general. Its the only thing that keeps making me want to go back to windows.

Thanks

You're probably going to have to just try it. Fedora 8 is very new, and I'm sure most folks aren't going to immediately try to install World of Warcraft on it. Download it and report back. I'm curious to hear what happens.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mirzamonster View Post
    I searched on the forums for threads on the ever popular topic of world of warcraft. But the only threads to do with wow deal only with ubuntu. I have installed Ubuntu SEVERAL times in the past and always tried installing world of warcraft, following dozens of guides, and i would always get to the starting video, you know, the really cool one that played the movie showing off all the classes with super realiztic graphics? Well as soon as i skip it, the hwole game shuts off, and the desktop would go completely white.

So THEN i tried on fedora by using TransGamings Cedega. Same thing. So i guess my question is this:

Will Fedora 8 be any more compatible with World of warcraft? I tried to find out if it came with wine, since it comes with all kinds of extras...and to be honest, not just world of warcraft, but windows games in general. Its the only thing that keeps making me want to go back to windows.

Thanks

if you dont want to mess around with it. ill try it this weekend and hope to get it installed. Im also goona try fedora 8. and im goona try WIne cedega and crossover to hopefully fix this mess with linux "not being gaming freindly" i like windows dont get me wrong but its to much of a hassle and all just to get a few games to play on windows without it giving me error reports every 8 seconds. and i am very technicly inclined so i know its not me messing up.

SO here is the short version. give me untill 8:00 Pm my time. and ill post back with results and exactly how i did it

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Well

> yum install <graphics driver that supports opengl>
    > yum -y install wine
    > transmission http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/417...16.TPB.torrent
    > winecfg <- Change sound driver to ALSA or OSS
    > wine /home/<wow folder>/WoW.exe -opengl

Works perfectly for me.

PS. and if its rar files install: yum -y install unrar

Just Joined!

WoW server

If you downloaded this torrent you can play for free at NGWoW - Next Generation WoW it is a great server, try it. Go to the homepage and follow their connect guide