Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install Matlab 6.1 in my fedora 6 system but i need to change the CD-ROM drive configuration from read-only to execute because by default, on Linux systems, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hange the CD-ROM drive configuration from read-only to execute

I want to install Matlab 6.1 in my fedora 6 system
    but i need to change the CD-ROM drive configuration from read-only to execute because by default, on Linux systems, CD-ROM drives have read-only permission

how can i do it?

thanks

There is no such thing as 'read-only' permission in Linux per se, I think you have it confused with lesser operating systems. You can seperately set the 'read', 'write' and 'execute' permissions,for files but these are not all available for media which cannot be written such as the CD-Rom. You can simulate read-only by turning off execute and write permissions, but Windows style read-only isn't really read-only; it's read-and-execute or !write.

The cd should automatically be mounted with no write permissions, but it should still have the execute permisisons, provided the file you're tring to run is executable. If all else fails, you can always copy the file (or file and associated directories) to a sub-directory of your home directory and execute the file from there.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie

It's A Tough Situation For new Users...

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    There is no such thing as 'read-only' permission in Linux per se, I think you have it confused with lesser operating systems. You can seperately set the 'read', 'write' and 'execute' permissions,for files but these are not all available for media which cannot be written such as the CD-Rom. You can simulate read-only by turning off execute and write permissions, but Windows style read-only isn't really read-only; it's read-and-execute or !write.

The cd should automatically be mounted with no write permissions, but it should still have the execute permisisons, provided the file you're tring to run is executable. If all else fails, you can always copy the file (or file and associated directories) to a sub-directory of your home directory and execute the file from there.
    While this may be a solid fact, often messages in Terminal say the rom is read only -- here is a sample out put:

steve@Mangobus24:~$ sudo mkdir /media/cdrom
    steve@Mangobus24:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc0 /media/cdrom/
    mount: special device /dev/sdc0 does not exist
    steve@Mangobus24:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom/
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

steve@Mangobus24:~$ whereis /dev/sc0
    sc0:
    steve@Mangobus24:~$ sudo dmseg | tail
    sudo: dmseg: command not found

SMPlayer reads / detects the rom drive and opens up a gui when the rom drive is closed with a cd in it, yet you often get messages like this, confusing the user big time.

newer users often repeat what they read, and too often, experienced users do not just write the Command to get the cdrom to function no matter what the circumstance.

Sadly, this discourages users and they sometimes become angry.

Googling is of no help either. Hours of reading techno babble is not productive in many cases and often the commands fail. Frustrating the user further. Moreover, the search engines are a huge garbage dump. They are littered with people who babble / blog in every form just to rank in the serps and offer no real meat and potatoes answers that gets to the point.

Frankly, I wish someone would write a rock solid programme that allows the linux flavour to be fully functional no matter what, and then create a GUI for the bugger and load on to something such as packages.debian.org or similar.

I did not mean to bump such an old thread, but I frequently have these same issues my self, and for me, my google search led me to this thread, an absolute dead end. In my case, I have been working on this issue for two hours, reading mostly. That is totally insane !!