Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed CentOS 5.0 on my laptop on a virtual machince using VM Ware. I gave it 20 GB hard disk space and used the dvd image they have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I can not see the GUI in CentOS 5.0

I have installed CentOS 5.0 on my laptop on a virtual machince using VM

Ware. I gave it 20 GB hard disk space and used the dvd image they have on

their web site.

Although I am still new to linux, I chose to install KDE and Gnome GUIs since I

do not have any experience with the commands or the shell.

When I start the VM Ware and choose the CentOS 5.0 to start, it degins

loading the drivers while checking if it loads or fails by typing the word ok or

fail in front of each one. Then, A GUI starts loading the programs, and out of

the sudden, a black screen comes asking localhost name and password. I

enter that and I login. Though I can not load the GUI to start working on the

system. Any suggestions?

log in at the black screen and type 'startx' at the command prompt. If the graphic desktop session starts, then you're halfway there, edit /etc/inittab, near the top will be a line that says 'id:3:initdefault'. Change the 3 to a 5 and reboot the virtual machine.

If startx doesn't start the graphic interface, then post up here what the error messages say.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I wrote startx, the response:

xauth: creating new authority file /home/username/.serverauth.3404

Fatal error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    if this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again

that was the message I got. two more things, first, I noticed that the microcode failed to load. second, I used a capital letter for the first letter of my user name. Is this a problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmmm, interesting. What happens if you have the logon screen visible, have the virtual machine captureing keyboard input and you do CTRL-ALT-F7?

Just Joined!
    It worked, thanks. I will do some updates and see if I need some more help.

Thanks a lot.

Just Joined!
    Hey,

I keep getting the same problem each time I reboot. Is there a way to make the GUI starts automatically once I power on the CentOS 5.0?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I've not used VMWare with CentOS as a guest. I know that CentOS normally boots to the graphics login screen if it can; if it's not turning on the graphical login display properly, its most likely a config problem with VMWare.

If you're doing this from Windows, you can always try Microsoft Virtual PC (which appears to be free); I use that with CentOS 5 here at work, and it works fine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I've not used VMWare with CentOS as a guest. I know that CentOS normally boots to the graphics login screen if it can; if it's not turning on the graphical login display properly, its most likely a config problem with VMWare.

If you're doing this from Windows, you can always try Microsoft Virtual PC (which appears to be free); I use that with CentOS 5 here at work, and it works fine.
    I am having this same exact problem. The microcode does not load and I get same error message. I don't understand what Ctrl-Alt-F7 is doing can you explain please?
    I tried that but i am sure i might not be doing something right...I would appreciate any further assistance you could provide. --Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by still learning View Post
    Hey,

I keep getting the same problem each time I reboot. Is there a way to make the GUI starts automatically once I power on the CentOS 5.0?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Normally you can change the runlevel to 5 by changing the following line in your /etc/inittab to:
    Code:
    id:5:initdefault:
    and then it should always start in the graphical mode.
    Mazer
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    How can I delete this message?????? I guess I misunderstood something. Sorry, don't consider my comment
    I was seduced by SUSE 5.1.
    Registered Linux User #451562

Just Joined!
    Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,