Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yes, I donwloaded all the packages and dependencies. It auto checks right? In fact, the entire download was about 700MB. It's like I'm downloading a CD. I installed it on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    luv
    Just Joined!

Yes, I donwloaded all the packages and dependencies. It auto checks right? In fact, the entire download was about 700MB. It's like I'm downloading a CD.

I installed it on IBM 206m server with 160 GB SATA drive.

Quote Originally Posted by matonb View Post
    Hmm, yum update is pretty reliable these days...

Stupid question, but I assume you downloaded all the dependencies?

As gogalthorp mentioned early on it's probably a hardware driver that is causing the problem.

What hardware are you trying to install it on (Dell, HP, home brew)?

Linux Enthusiast
    I use Dell and HP servers, both of which have server support packs with all the relevant drivers / firmware / patches. I had a quick look at the IBM site but didn't see anything there. I would have thought that they would have some thing though.

Both the Dell and the HP drivers get built on the system you install them on and will compile for all installed kernels, not just the running one. See if you can find something similar for your server.
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

luv
    Just Joined!
    You're saying that it's has something to do with the hardware? How come there are problems like this posted on the internet? They're just using clone computers with PATA drives? Thank you for your suggestion though.

Do you think it's wise to install kernel update lower than I tried to install?

I use Dell and HP servers, both of which have server support packs with all the relevant drivers / firmware / patches. I had a quick look at the IBM site but didn't see anything there. I would have thought that they would have some thing though.

Both the Dell and the HP drivers get built on the system you install them on and will compile for all installed kernels, not just the running one. See if you can find something similar for your server.

Linux Enthusiast
    You're saying that it's has something to do with the hardware? How come there are problems like this posted on the internet? They're just using clone computers with PATA drives?
    No, what I'm saying is that computers branded as servers from the major suppliers such as DELL, HP and IBM will have better hardware than a stock desktop. They also generally have better support.

I'm familiar with DELL and HP servers, which is what the companies I've worked for all use. Both of these vendors supply "Support Packs" (Dell Server Update Utility, HP Proliant Support Pack) on a fairly regular basis.

Do you think it's wise to install kernel update lower than I tried to install?
    No, if you haven't got the correct drivers for the kernel your trying to run you'll be back at the beggining of this thread
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

luv
    Just Joined!
    ok thanks.

luv
    Just Joined!
    It's been awhile but I want to ask again something related to this post. Because of this problem, I never performed any update on the operating system. For sure the non-working update files(2.6.9-55) are still there. I set 2.6.9-22.ELsmp kernel as default in /boot/grub/grub.conf file as suggested but failed to uninstall 2.6.9-55. Is it possible to overwrite the non-working update by installing the latest update? Will I be able to access 2.6.9-22.ELsmp from grub in case the latest update will still not work for my hardware?

Thank you very much.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi Luv,

In short, if you update the kernel through yum it will actually install the new kernel rather than update the old one.

So yes you will have access to the previous kernel (2.6.9-22.ELsmp) after installing the latest update, either by setting it as the default or by selecting it at boot time.

Any joy finding a "support pack" on the IBM website ?
    RHCE #100-015-395

luv
    Just Joined!
    So what will it do with the 2.6.9-55 version? I havent deleted it really.

About the support pack, I havent re-checked it yet. I couldnt find one, the last time I checked. I wonder why newer updates arent working with the hardware when the old system files worked.

Thank you for replying promptly.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi Luv,

How did it fail to remove the 2.6.9-55 kernel? Any specific error messages?

If you have support on the server, drop IBM a line and ask them where to find the support/management tools...
    RHCE #100-015-395

luv
    Just Joined!
    Hello,

I forgot the exact error message but I'll perform it again and post it here.

The support for the IBM ended already.

Thank you.

Hi Luv,

How did it fail to remove the 2.6.9-55 kernel? Any specific error messages?

If you have support on the server, drop IBM a line and ask them where to find the support/management tools...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast