Find the answer to your Linux question:
Something rotten is in my Fedora 2. u2date installed some packages (appx 80 updates) and after this I'm not able to login as user, I can only login into system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora 2 and user issues

Something rotten is in my Fedora 2. u2date installed some packages (appx 80 updates) and after this I'm not able to login as user, I can only login into system as root. So I tried to delete password from shadow file and to remove all users except of root and than to add new user and the behaviour of the system is still same - after entering correct password for user to system freezes for several minutes and than ask again for login without notifing me about wrong password. Ok, so I tried gnome gui for adding/removing users but the result is same. Have u ever seen such a strange acting of login?

Just Joined!

Re: Fedora 2 and user issues

Hi, I have just come across the very same problem. I also can't figure out how to get back into the system without being root.

This is extremely frustrating

i have no idea were to start, but do you have logs of what was installed? a list of packages might start to point us in the right directions.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    can you can look at /var/log/messages and post ?it may be useful...
    Linux For Ever!

I've figured out that it was related to wrong settings of NIS and LDAP. The passwords weren't searched localy but on internet. My fault - I admit