Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry about this but I have got fc7 (partitoned) on my laptop and windows, i havent got a clue on how to connect linux to the internet. My laptop is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dumb Question (sorry)

Sorry about this but I have got fc7 (partitoned) on my laptop and windows, i havent got a clue on how to connect linux to the internet. My laptop is wireless and i have a wireless router but havent a clue what to do. Windows is fine but never used linux before?

Thankyou if you are able to help

Linux Enthusiast
    We'll need more information that that before we can help properly.

Can you tell us what kind of wireless card you have, what kind of security you have on your wireless network and do you use dhcp on your network.

Also, run these commands and paste the output here to give us an idea of what's been autoconfigured already.

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    route -n
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    ping www.google.com
    Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    After having fedora 8 installed on my system, it was instantly connected to the internet. My guess is either your card is incompatible (for now), not generic enough, or you need drivers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho 85602 View Post
    After having fedora 8 installed on my system, it was instantly connected to the internet. My guess is either your card is incompatible (for now), not generic enough, or you need drivers for it.
    I have a trend net TEW-441PC wifi card........ it doesnt work on Fedora 8.

I use a Nec VersaPro VA10J laptop.......

what do I need to do to make wifi work?

my school uses PEAP/LEAP, but my house is standard Linksys home wireless routing (WEP)

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You could start by checking the chipset used in your card. You can check this by doing
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i net

well its a PCMIA card. should I be checking the internal ethernet stuff?

This is wireless internet im asking about. anyway, heres what the command line puked back

02:01.0 Ethernet Controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 0
    07:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Your wireless card is based on the Atheros chipset, so you need to install the madwifi drivers in order for it to work. You first need to setup the livna yum repository because thats the one that contains the madwifi drivers.