Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Linux GURUs , I m using RedHat 9.0 and I want to create new partition ( pqr ) and assign it to the new user xyz . So when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating new partition

Hi Linux GURUs ,

I m using RedHat 9.0 and I want to create new partition ( pqr ) and assign it to the new user xyz .
    So when the user xyz logs into the machine , he will we directed to the new partition pqr automatically . Please ask if u need something more details .

do you mean partition (as in a separate part of a hard disk) or do you mean directory/folder?

If the later, simply use the User gui to create a new user and it will create all of the bits needed for the new user (including a home directory/folder and all of the logon scripts).

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Hi Linux-GURU ,

Thanx for the help 1st of all .... But I actually need a partition and not a directory .... So i want to create a separate partition ( other than the default partitions ( like / , /usr .. ) .
    So first I want commands for creating that partition and then assing it to the newly created user . Thanx in advance .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    the creation of a partition is going to be the hard(er) part, use a program like fdisk to see if you have free(un-partitioned/unformatted) space on your drive, if not, you will need to re-size one or all of your partitions to fit this new one. (unless you already have a partion in mind). there are different commands for different filesystems, but assuming you are using a single IDE drive and we are calling this partition hda4 and we are going to make it ext2, the command would look something like this
    Code:
    mke2fs /dev/hda4
    then mount it as /happyhome using a command like this
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda4 /happyhome
    and make that the home for the user that you have created. You might have to fool w/ some permissions but that should be all.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

hey, sorry i didnt follow up on your question,
    ok, so your loged in as new user rightnow, i think that
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda4 /home/newuser
    will create the home directory of the new user on that parition (hda4 must be changed to whatever partiion you are using)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333