Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry to bother you all, Im having a slight problem with VNC I have installed WinVNC via SSH, and installation has been fine, everything went through ok, but when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RealVNC Viewer

Sorry to bother you all, Im having a slight problem with VNC

I have installed WinVNC via SSH, and installation has been fine, everything went through ok, but when i went to view via VNC I could only see this:

Is there anyway to close that dialouge via SSH or something like that please?

Thanks for your help in advance =D

~Joeh[/img]

EDIT: Im running RedHat Fedora via SSH (PuTTY)

Just Joined!

this is how i would do it.

What i would do is have a vnc server running on the pc it is you wish to control. the beautiy of this is you can atake control of it from anywhere in the world via the internet

like mine for instance say i want to connect to my pc from antother pc in my home network i would type http://192.168.0.3:2700 in my browser url field but say i wanted to take control of my pc via the internet you would enter in to the url field ur IP! number for you internet the easiest way to find this out is www.whatsmyip.com so it would look some thing like this http://***.**.***.**:2700 the :2700 is your java port as long as you have java on the client pc u are using to take controll over the remote pc with u should have a box come up asking for the internal ip wich is 192.168.0.3:2500 notice i have :2500 now instead of :2700 thats coz :2500 is the network port number by the way you can set these to any number you like. once you have enterd the ip correctly it will come up asking for a password type it in then a java aplet window will pop-up you will now have controll of the remote pc. or you can just spy .

But thats just how i do it. dunno if it will be any help hope it is.

that is a solution, but i have the server running on all my pc's is that the only method to access the servers via linux? I thouhgt there were vnc viewers.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

yes

There are Vnc viewers and they work in excatly the same way you just dont type the ip address into the url of aa browser u type it into the box of a viewer

ok, im just reluctant to run the java script thinger and open acess to anyone who can guess a password (my borthers and sisters have a bad habit of telling them to friends, they also use the same passwords for everyhting) While we dont really care about the computers they run, there are others on the network that trust them, so yeah, security risk. I would rather leave remote access only on the local for them.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

you can set permisions

you can set vnc up to have to have a user name as well as a password you can the set permissions also you can tunnel you ip or restric acsesse to ip address u specifi only

sorry bout the spelling.

neato, will do, and thanks for the help.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

yw

thats ok one thing thou you will have to read up on how to create the user names coz if i rember right its a greyed out box untill u install the script