Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone have any links on setting up NX Free server on Fedora 8? I've got the server, client, and node installed on my Fedora 8 box, and I've got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up NX Free Server on Fedora 8 with XP client

Does anyone have any links on setting up NX Free server on Fedora 8? I've got the server, client, and node installed on my Fedora 8 box, and I've got the windows client installed on my XP machine, but can't find any clear directions on where to go from there. My goal is to either use VNC or remote desktop on my XP machine at work to remotely connect to my Fedora 8 box at home. I'd also like to be able to do this without having to stay logged in on the Fedora box (unlike the remote desktop feature installed on Fedora 8..). Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

CH

Just Joined!
    I installed freenx and nx packages.

yum install freenx nx

Then executed the following command as root

cp /etc/nxserver/node.conf.sample /etc/nxserver/node.conf

Then executed the setup (again as root) and followed the steps.

cd /etc/share/doc/freenx-0.7.1
    ./nxsetup

Then I installed the latest client from NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software and imported the following key in the client (on a Windows XP Machine)

/etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key

And its working like a charm.

The reason I went for freenx was that the packages on NX weren't working for me and I was getting the following from the client

Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    I found that NoMachine's "free forever" version of NX Server was more robust than the freenx version installed through yum. Setup was not bad at all, and I have documented the steps I took here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close