Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have installed FC8 and am trying to use ADS to authenticate. I am able to access shares on the network from FC8 but I'm not able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't access Fedora 8 from Windows network

Hello everyone,
    I have installed FC8 and am trying to use ADS to authenticate. I am able to access shares on the network from FC8 but I'm not able to access FC8 from any of the Windows computers. I am using Windows Server 2003 pre R2. I have installed Services For Unix and believe that it is set up correctly. I used the setup guide for SFU and believe that my settings are correct. During the process checklist while booting on FC8 I see that the Binding NIS Services failed. Does anyone know if there are any documents that may help me verify that my settings are correct. The network consists of 30 computers including the server.

Thanks.

what are you trying to access on the linux server?
    if you are trying to access files on linux from a windows box, i suggest you do some reading into samba.
    it is somewhat indepth, so i cant get TOO much into it, but basicaly, it anounces on your network that it has files that it can share to windows.

if your good with computers, it has a GUI, and i believe that it works fairly well. you can either find it somewhere in the menu (i only use gnome, so i dont know on KDE,) or just open a terminal (in X, not from the black and white commandline), and as root execute "system-config-samba". this will execute the gui, and from there you'll be able to figure it out if your good with comps.

i'd help you more, but i'm at work, and only know enough to get by while looking at man pages and docs ... sorry.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4