Find the answer to your Linux question:
I searched, and i found a topic on Fedora 7, but i have 6, and it didnt really have an answer. So i have jre1.6.0_03 on my dekstop. i start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Installing JRE for Fedora Core 6.

I searched, and i found a topic on Fedora 7, but i have 6, and it didnt really have an answer. So i have jre1.6.0_03 on my dekstop. i start to configure it to Firefox by putting in this:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.7/plugins
    ln -s /home/Sarg338/1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    but i end up getting this:
    Code:
    ln: creating symbolic link `./libjavaplugin_oji.so' to `/home/Sarg338/1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists

My understanding of this is its already linked, but JRE still doesnt work. Any help apreciated. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    bump, still looking

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Sarg338!

Did you try this HowTo?

If so, it indicates that you should use the Fedora 7 HowTo for installing the version you have, but it reports that version as being problematic, at least in Fedora 6.
    oz

Just Joined!
    hmm i typed this and this is what popped up:

Code:
    [Sarg338@localhost ~]$ sudo mv -f jre1.5* /opt/jre1.5
    Password:
    Sarg338 is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
    any ideas?

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Fedora at all so not sure how much help I can be, but I didn't think that it uses sudo by default.

Try all of your commands without putting sudo in front of them, but you do have to su to root if you haven't done so.

Hopefully it will work for you this time.

If not, maybe someone with some recent Fedora experience will step in with some clues.
    oz

Just Joined!
    well, i loged into root, and took out sudo in the command lines, and i went through all that, and when i pressed enter, no error came up or anything, but when i went to java.com and tested for it, nothing popped up so is it in or not?

Ozar, thanks for your help also. Hopefully i will get this fixed soon, so if anyone can help, please post.

Hi Sarge. It's relatively easy to get Java working for Fedora. Have a look here Java - Fedora Linux My Way at my wiki page about installing java for Fedora 7. It should apply to Fedora 6 with no problem. My method works pretty well. As far as your trouble with linking goes, there's often several FireFox folders under /usr/lib. You may be linking to the wrong one. Choose help > about in FireFox to make sure which version you are using. Post back with the results and maybe I can help get Java sorted for you.
    Glenn