Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just had a Fedora 7 box hang on me when booting... it makes it to the "Enabling filesystem quotas [OK]" then stops the boot process. I have another thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I just had a Fedora 7 box hang on me when booting... it makes it to the "Enabling fil

I just had a Fedora 7 box hang on me when booting... it makes it to the "Enabling filesystem quotas [OK]" then stops the boot process. I have another thread regarding that in a previous post.

Currently, I'm trying to use my external WD MyBook usb drive to backup all of my data. However, when I plug it in and restart... I get the following error:

usb 5-8: device descriptor read/64. error = 110

The usb drive is formated with the NTFS file system, because of its use in windows as well.
    Any suggestions, to get this drive recognized and mounted under Fedora 7?

The last resort, would be to put in a new internal hard drive, mount the original drive in a data partition and rebuild from scratch using Fedora 8... pulling in data as I need it.

Is Fedora booting up in Single user mode?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It initially was booting to runlevel 5... I attempted to switch it to single user mode by appending "single" to the root entry in grub, also tried appending 1... I'm not certain if its single user mode at this point, but the grub took the change and didn't yield any errors.

I'm not certain if its single user mode at this point, but the grub took the change and didn't yield any errors.
    Does it drop you at command line prompt?
    It looks like Graphics Card problem.

Just Joined!
    Yep, I'm dropped to a command prompt after the boot from the rescue cd.

It worked fine on this card ever since FC4. I wonder if a recent / unknown update did something with the driver. Hmm

You have to update driver after every kernel upgrade. Which Graphics Card do you have?

* Are we discussing about same machine here too?

Just Joined!
    Yep, same machine... same video card from the other thread.

Wasn't for sure if I should include both topics in the same thread since someone may know about one but not the other. We can merge them if need be.

How do I go about making sure I have the latest video card driver that works with this specific kernel?

If I can get the usb drive working in rescue mode, I will just dump the data to it and start a fresh install.

I am locking this thread. We'll continue discussion in other thread only else it will create confusion.